Wednesday 28 December 2016

Main gas tank removal and cleaning

And the story continues, per blog:

http://erwinxjs.blogspot.nl/2016/11/after-last-weeks-failed-attempt-as-per.html

Finally I have some time to take care of this job. Today I have been removing the main gas tank. A job that was not to difficult. Removing the battery and the sumptank first. Then removing the main holding bars. Disconnecting the various hoses and the filling hose. In order to remove it entirely also the left iron sidebar had to be removed and on the right side the relaisholder had to be removed. Then it was just a matter of moving it out. And presto:









As you can see at the bottom there is some light corrosion in a triangle shape. But nothing worrisome.
By now the tank was already dried up and when shaking you could hear a lot of dirt moving.

When taking off the main gas hose going to the sump tank I was shocked again. As you can see it was completely filled up with dirt:



No wonder the engine would stall. I'm really surprised this car was able to run at all knowing now how much it was contaminated. Tomorrow I will try to flush and clean the tank and add some coating (pending if the local shops have these fluids available).

Oh, I also found my missing fuel pump. It was at home stored away in a cupboard :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment