Saturday 21 April 2018

Wheels replacement

I don't think anyone will remember but last year in December I purchased a nice set of spare wheels with good tyres, see blog:

http://erwinxjs.blogspot.nl/2017/12/new-used-starfish-rims-and-tyres.html

So finally today I took the effort to replace the wheels, so the car has got decent tyres. The rims themselves still require to be refurbished. But that can wait. At least for the next MOT the tyres are ok. While the wheels were off I had another look again at the arches and the rust. The left side has surface rust on the arche but it's not that bad as it looks. And at the bottom there is a small hole that requires a little welding. The same on right side but even to a lesser degree. I'm not concerned about it in any case. But definately it will be taken care off when I have finished the other technical concerns on my list; mainly the slight wobble when driving.

And since the last trip other technical issue's crept up as well:

http://erwinxjs.blogspot.nl/2017/04/wafting-with-jaguar-xjs.html

Till now I had parked it all as I wanted to save up money for other private things and other car maintenance. Mostly I was saving up to buy a proper car lift and other tools.

Surprisingly this blog is attracting still readers/hits. I noticed most hits are going to the tech stuff I have been doing and frankly this is something I liked doing most.

And today I mentally decided to make a start and get the aircopump fixed/replaced but this gives also the opportunity to replace the other belts (which are very old and potential to break next, renew the waterpump, replace the airco dryer and uplift the the rusty radiator and other cosmetics since the whole front will be taken off. By making a start a now I can take my time and don't get to do the whole lot next year in one go. By then I hope to have a car lift and do the propshaft u-joints and maybe more as per blog:

http://erwinxjs.blogspot.nl/2017/04/u-joints-propshaft-replacement-attempt_29.html

Of course I took the opportunity afterwards to make a small drive. And despite all of the outstanding items mentioned above it drives so nicely and smooth. If you drive slowly the wobble is not noticable and with the windows open no airco is required. However on my return I could smell something and judging by the smoke it looks like the (parking) brake must have been stuck. I say parking brake as I played a little with it before I left. Not happy with that. More work to do ...






No comments:

Post a Comment