Saturday 27 April 2019

new airfilters + headlight dip relay + fuse box

As I bought a new headlighht dip relay I also included 2 new air filters to make the package more economical for the shipping costs. The filters are actually quite cheap, about 11 Euro each


Maybe one of the easiest maintenance job of the XJS:


Old one out


 The filters are marked with front and this is also pointed out on a decal placed on the filterbox:


And presto:


Started up the engine and it runs smooth again.


On to the headlights. I have done a little further checking and it looks like the problems were caused by a dodgy fuse and a specific relay

The headlight fuses are located on little plastic black box on top of the left side of the front wing.
The cover can be easily removed and shows the following. They were still Originals by the look of it, including two spares. It does mention part code DAC 2569 but I coulnd't find anything related on the parts website. The fuses are numbered 1 to 5:

1) Radiator Auxiliary Cooling Fan Motor Relay 25A
2) LH Main Beam 25A
3) LH Dip Beam 10A
4) RH Main Beam 25A
5) RH Dip beam 10A


How nice, the Original fuse with a printed paper inside, I like that Original detail but am affraid I will have to replace them all:




Once the faulty fuse was replaced both lights were working again. However, the high beam light only worked on one side. I suspected this was caused by the headlight dip relay which I ordered new.


The old one is located at the front underneath a black cover:

56b - Blue/red wire
56 - Blue wire
56a - blue/white wire
81a red + brown wires
31b red + blue wires





After replacement the main beam light worked only to flash but wouldn't "stick"  And when turning on the fog guard lamp it goes into main beam mode and can be switched to dip beam. When typing this up now my guess is that I might have reversed a wire from the old relay onto the new relay. Something I will look into next week … sigh.

I had this checked in the manual and it seems indeed that the light switch position 4 is acting as nr 3.


And on a forum I just found the following schematic which I will include for reference as it might come in handy again, click to enlarge (or save locally and view it):





Oh, I and also wonder what this relay is about, which is located further up on the top of the inner left wing, marked Pektron 4183:





No comments:

Post a Comment