Wednesday 19 April 2017

U-joint diagnostics - propshaft XJS

After some further thinkering I'm no longer convinced the rear calipers are the cause of these vibrations and noises. Although I'm pretty sure they will require an overhaul after seeing the state of the front caliper as per blog: http://erwinxjs.blogspot.nl/2017/04/break-caliper-overhauling.html

By now I also learned it's quite a task to dismantle the rear calipers only. Although it's seems to be possible as I read on this forum:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/replacing-rear-calipers-w-o-dropping-i-r-s-148245/

Also this link provides useful insight:

http://www.wedgeneering.co.uk/TVR%20390SE%20p11.html T

The best option is to remove the entire IRS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_independent_rear_suspension). Apparently this is a job that can be done in about 2 hours. But for this I would require a car lift, which I don't have, yet. All in all it would be quite an undertaking. Which I'm surely planning to do as soon as I have a proper carlift.

But as said, I don't expect the cause to be stuck pistons in the rear caliper. Although it stopped the wobble at the right front. I think that wobble did mask these other noises and vibrations but they were present though. I now suspect the u-joints on the propshaft, especially the rear u-joint since the noise and vibes are coming mostly from the back. Other symptoms are the clunk when putting the car in reverse. But on the last drive I also heard occassionly another nasty sound when cornering. And the vibrations are mostly present when firmly accelerating. These are all hinting points towards the u-joints. The good news is; they are fairly cheap and should be fairly easy to access and to fix. So I just have placed the order at SNG Barratt and hope I can get this job fixed coming weekend. I also found some usefull tips to get them replacemed - There is so much available online so I'm not going to bother to put it here. So watch this space.


No comments:

Post a Comment