Saturday 29 April 2017

U-Joints propshaft replacement attempt - Part Two

Today I made another attempt to replace the u-joints as per previous blog:

http://erwinxjs.blogspot.nl/2017/04/u-joints-propshaft-replacement-attempt.html

I rented a carlift at a DIY garage very nearby to take care of this job


Again I was too optimistic as it turned out I had to dismantle the automatic gearbox mounting bracket. Meaning I also had to remove the exhaust etc. So I figured this is a job that's going to take up to much time and I don't want to rush it. So I now have made my mind up and will go ahead and order a carlift for myself.

In any case, I now had again a closer look underneath the car and checked the propshaft. I could feel only a very slight movement and now I'm still in doubt if it's the u-joint. But if not, then I consider it preventative maintenance and I can rule it out as a potential problem (for a very long time).  The backside is very accessible but it's the front that isn't.

I only spotted this afterwards at home when looking at the pictures. The first picture below is made with camera lighting. And you can see clearly it does have a fairly new single brakepad (shiny black). It's on the right side of the car, exactly where I sense the vibrations are coming from. I suspect this one must also have rusty pistons. I now think it's a combined issue of both U-joint (I suspect the front u-joint) and the right rear caliper that needs overhauling (or in fact both will require this).



I was hoping by removing the first cover plate I easily could access the front propshaft but that seems to be hidden under the gearbox mounting cover. This also requires to have the exhaust to be removed. I noticed two tiny holes in each of them (so I'm surprised it passed the MOT). And as can be seen they are quite rusty and also the silencers look and feel slightly poor. So perhaps have that replaced by new stainless steel ones. But first I need to have the propshafts fixed before moving on to other jobs.


I also checked the other parts and the steeringrack seems quite oily and with fluid drops.




And the same for the automatic gearbox:



It's not overly concerning and apparently standard practice for British cars as I have been informed.

I have to say that when driving the car today it felt actually quite good. I guess on the last ride I was slightly annoyed and very focussed on listning and detecting the noises and vibrations. Obviously it's still there but it felt less dramatic. I almost would say the long ride last time was a good exercise for the car. Clearly it has been ages ago before it did run such a long trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment