Saturday 8 April 2017

Brake Caliper overhauling

As per blog:

http://erwinxjs.blogspot.nl/2016/09/the-hunt-part-ii.html (item 4 on the list) and

http://erwinxjs.blogspot.nl/2017/03/mot-pass-apk-goedgekeurd.html

I still had this outstanding noise/wobble to overcome. Since the ball joints are fixed now I definately could rule that out. The wheel bearing can't be the culprit either. The wobble felt more like a worn out cross coupling (homokineet). But since this car doesn't have those on the front that can't be it either. I remembered from an old invoice that only the left side caliper had been overhauled - including new brakepads. Click the picture to enlarge:


This was done at the Jaguar dealer Kimman in Haarlem. So I figured that maybe the right side had one of the caliper pistons playing up causing the wobble.

As such I ordered an overhaul kit consisting of a seal service kit and 4 new caliper pistons. Total costs including VAT and shipping: € 86,-   I was not sure if this was going to fix it but then at least I knew the caliper was in an equal good state as the left side. The kit arrived earlier this week, turned out the seal kit was covering both sides, so I have got spare on my stock.





Which was a useful resource. Especially for removing the brake pads first. I have to say this is nicely engineered. So removing the caliper was a piece of cake:


Remarkable to see this old skool protection used:











From the pictures it's clear this was a necessary piece of work to be done. The seals were completely dried out and damaged and also resulted in rusty pistons. I managed to get them out but one took a little more effort and I suspect that one must have caused an issue at least. I don't understand why they overhauled only one caliper at the time? So putting in the new pistons, seals and mounted everything back. Filling up the brake fluid and presto. Time for a quick test run.

Wobble gone now. So this did do the trick. I'm very happy with this improvement. Still there is some vibrations left but that might require balancing the wheels. Something I can look into next when I'm going to replace the rear tyres.

No comments:

Post a Comment