Monday 3 October 2016

Dashboard instrument panel lighting

When I used the car once in the evening I noticed how poor the dashboard lighting was. Also I was in doubt if all warning lights were functional. So time to get this checked and remove the dashboard. On both corners there was a hidden cover which had the holding screw behind it. In total it had 17 light bulbs 12V 1.2W (15)and 5 12 2.2W (14) light bulbs. However one light bulbholder (12) was missing. Sigh. So I have to find a replacement. Unfortunately these are not newly available. I also upgraded the 2.2W lights to 5W to increase the light level. I checked last evening but I was not impressed by the 5W light bulbs, I couldn't see an improvement. Oh well.













5 comments:

  1. I would just say all agreed except no need to remove the steering wheel to get the dash out and back in

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are the large Red & Orange ones for. jag92hotjohn@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red indicates a major fault and Orange indicates a minor fault - in my 1991 XJS panel, there are no lights behind these - they are just colored red and orange plastics that reflect the bulbs below when lit for the major or minor fault - how did you remove the tiny bulbs - I have not been able to remove my tiny bulb for RH flasher when trying to pull it out - thanks, Tex - 1/2/2020 020hrs. EST.

      Delete
  3. Found that I had to remove the ground bar, then pull the bulb holder socket straight out, then pull the bulb out of the holder - found that the bulb is good - found moisture rust corrosion on contacts of bulb and socket - cleaned contact surfaces and bulb works - hope this helps someone else - thanks, Tex - 1/2/2020 1557hrs EST.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apologies for the late reponse (I did not get notifcations on these messages). In any case, thanks for the additional informational updates, always useful.

    ReplyDelete