Sunday 30 October 2016

Fuel filters and fuel pump replacement

Today I had some time to finally build up the fuel system. The parts were delivered earlier this week, 1 new seal, 1 fuel filter for the sumptank, 1 fuel filter and 1 new fuel pump


 This looks clean now:


When removing the normal fuelfilter this is what came out of it! Heavily contaminated. Clearly not replaced for a long time:


The sump tank I had cleaned last week. Just filled it partly with gas and partly with small stones. And then shaked it for a little time untill it was mostly shiney inside. I also had it soaked a little using Forte but I think that was a complete waste.


When placing the new fuel pump I noticed a small mistake. The large screw which should be used for plus is marked minus. And the small screw which should be used for grounding is marked plus


When everything was build up again the engine didn't want to start. When connecting the old fuel pump again it worked instantly. However it wasn't running great and eventually stalled. Then it run again but it did not ran smooth and was playing up. I really suspect the old fuel pump is worn out, which does not surprise me seeing the heavily polluted filters. And the brushes are likely also poor. Hence I had already decided to have it replaced. The new fuel pump is however a very cheap one, I will do some further checking again but I sense it needs to be returned. Unfortunately I ran out of time to properly check it. Not happy, I should have ordered a new Bosch fuel pump instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment