Sunday 27 November 2016

And there was light

As per http://erwinxjs.blogspot.nl/2016/10/dashboard-instrument-panel-lighting.html

I still had an outstanding item to cover. Unfortunately I wasn't able to source this part newly (bulb holder - part nr 13H5270J).

So I figured to drop a note on the XJS FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/4185237245
hoping someone would have it spare for me.

This did trigger off some reactions, see link of my posting:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4185237245/permalink/10154581391437246/

The first reaction was actually quite good as someone mentioned they were available at:

http://www.jagbits.com/product/13H5270J.html

For which I remarked it was fairly expensive. Which triggered another response that I shouldn't have bought a Jaguar if I consider parts expensive.

In any case, a friendly owner in the USA responded since he had this available as he was stripping down a 1982 XJS. So I made contact with him and also asked if he had a trunk interior light as well. As one side was missing, only a small broken piece left:


I was unable to find this part on the online catalogues available at the known Jaguar sites. As such I couldn't find the part number either to search further. But luckily he had this part available as well. The lightholder is made by Hella:



I agreed a fair price with him but the shipping costs were just as much, sigh! Then I asked about some other items of my interest, which he had as well. So with this extra item it justified the expensive shippings cost easily in my opinion. More on this other item in another upcoming blog.

Typical enough I shortly afterwards found the bulb lightholder available at this company, which is really a good source (and now added to the sidebar). And only for € 1,75 !


By now the parts have arrived and the install of the trunk light was a  1 minute job. And both sides have now got new bulb lights as well. These small jobs are so rewarding:



And then fitting the missing bulbholder with a new bulb light in the instrumentpanel was another easy job. So happy it's all complete and working now.

When last time I did remove the instrumentpanel one piece of black clothing fell off as the Original glue was dried out. So that hat to be fixed as well. The same goes for both cover panels which also had their clothing no longer firmly attached to it. All nicely glued again and presto. It's all in the detail.







No comments:

Post a Comment