Sunday 4 September 2016

Distributor cap and rotor replacement

Yesterday I have been doing the replacement of the distributor cap (follow up per blog: http://erwinxjs.blogspot.nl/2016/08/engine-caught-fire.html) . At first I thought it was going to be a nasty job as I expected a lot of cables, hoses and other items had to be removed first. This wasn't the case however so it turned out to be a walk in the park.

As you can see on this picture, the cap was clearly cracked:


All the spark leads were nice labelled so I only had to draw this on a paper so they were put on the right spot when the cap was replaced


Another thing I now noticed was a lose hose with an air filter on it. This clearly must have been one of the vacuum hoses going to the distributor cap, potentially disconnected due to the small explosion.



The distributor cap was removed easily and was completely broken in two pieces. It also became visible this cap was slightly different as it did not had the air inlet tubes. Also no brand name or part number was stamped on it.


So clearly this must have been replaced in the past. I need to learn more about those air hoses connected to it and what purpose it serves. The other hose was missing though, so I'm unsure where it should be connected to. For now I topped off the (white) inlet/outlet tubes on the new distributor cap and mounted everything back again.


Prior to this I also had placed the new rotor so all is in good shape again.


Starting the engine again and all was running good and smooth. Phew.


No comments:

Post a Comment