Thursday 22 September 2016

Engine shutting off / stalling

As per blog http://erwinxjs.blogspot.nl/2016/09/eureka-fuel-gauge-repair.html I had been using the car as a daily driver for a few days. On Saturday I visited a friend to show the car. On Sunday I used it for a small trip nearby where we had a family brunch. On Monday I used it to go to the office and so I did on Tuesday. When driving home on Tuesday afternoon it started to play up a little just when I hit a traffic jam nearby home. And eventually it completely shut off. So I had to push the car to the emergency lane. Doh! Was I completely out of gas? I only had driven around 300 kilometers and I was sure it was loaded with more then 70 liters of gas. So I had already calculated I should be able to make 350 km at least. But perhaps I was wrong and I used up more gas then anticipated. So I called the missus to get over with a jerrycan of gas. Once filled up the engine started ok (this was about 1 hour later) and I could complete my journey home. In the evening I had an appointment with some of the IHWC (www.italyherewe.com) guys to show the car. So I filled it up with another 40 liters. By then the fuel gauge still didn't work. After a 30 min drive or so the engine started to play up and faded away. Thus ending up on the emergency lane again. Sigh. What was going on? I was only 5 min away to reach my endpoint. I started the engine and somehow it was picking up but very poorly. I took the gamble and continued on the emergency lane. Somehow I made it to my destination, the last 100 meters I arrived with the engine off and rolling out on to his property. Pffff. The other guys didn't show up as there was a change of plan with the car exchange they had organized. And I was not informed accordingly. The only good news is, the place I arrived was at the mechanics house. Although I didn't expect him to fix it on the spot he certainly could have a look. Or alternatively bring me home. When I left home I joked to the missus that hopefully I didn't had to call her in the evening - you can imagine her reaction. In any case, after 15 min or so, the mechanic and I had a look. We started the engine and everything was all running ok. We both made a small drive and nothing unusual happened. Weird. Clearly I was not happy with the situation as I expected it would shut off on my way home and it's dark. So I didn't fancy that. The mechanic offered his support in case I got stuck again. So I drove back home again and yes, after 20 min or so, the engine shut off. Just before this happened I noticed by surprise the fuel gauge was working all of the sudden. Not sure when that happened. In any case, the engine shut off and this just happened nearby the gas station. So I was rolling out on the gas station. I waited again 15 min and all was working normally again and I was able to get home again - about another 15/20 min drive. So my guess is that the first time this happened I wasn't out of gas at all (perhaps close though). I have no idea whats causing this either but likely it must be something related to the fuel system. The car is not running hot either so it's definately not caused by overheating. I don't think it's a poor fuel pump either or a dirty gasfilter / injectors or so. It runs to good for that matter. It's typical this only manifest after a few days I have replaced the fuel sender unit. Not sure if it's related. For now I will first look into the AAV as the high idling is very annoying and I suspect that's the culprit. After that I will looking into this new problem. I welcome any advise or tips.

(so much for the Lucky dime: http://erwinxjs.blogspot.nl/2016/09/tlc-cleaning-cosmetics-caring.html)



No comments:

Post a Comment